California Law and Ethics for Marriage and Family Therapists (12-hour) - CE Credit
- This course offers 12 hours of Continuing Education credit in Law & Ethics. See below for CE approval information and related details.
- If you don't need CE and are just wanting fantastic exam prep, check out our non-CE version, which includes all the same content, allows you to fast-forward and skip around as needed, and has no required passing score.
This course is designed to provide a broad overview of the legal and ethical standards governing the practice of marriage and family therapy in California. Specific attention is given to abuse reporting, confidentiality and privilege, and documentation.
By the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
(1) Explain the difference between confidentiality and privilege, identifying key exceptions to each.
(2) Describe a meaningful informed consent process for new clients consistent with the therapist's ethical responsibilities.
(3) Identify key components of legal and ethical compliance for California marriage and family therapists.
Key features of the Continuing Education version
Are you preparing to retake your California MFT Law & Ethics Exam after renewing your registration? This course offers continuing education and exam prep, rolled into one. Upon completion of this course, you will receive a certificate for 12 hours of continuing education in California Law and Ethics. You can include the certificate with your application for eligibility to retest.
Key features of this course includes:
- More than 10 hours of video content taught by Ben Caldwell
- More than 20 case examples
- A full-length practice test (75 items)
- More than 50 additional practice questions
- Resources section with study tips, links, and more
- Check out our 7-Step Study Plan
About the Instructor
Benjamin E. Caldwell, PsyD is a California Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (#42723). He teaches for California State University Northridge and The Wright Institute in Berkeley, CA. His book, Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs, is used as a textbook in graduate programs around the state and is an essential desk reference for therapists at all career levels.
CE Approval and Course Policies
Once you purchase the course, you must complete it within 60 days.
Ben Caldwell Labs is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for California LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs. Ben Caldwell Labs maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content. CAMFT CEPA provider #137848.
This course meets the qualifications for 12 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, and/or LPCCs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
This course is not part of our continuing education program approved through NBCC.
Photo by Matthew Henry from Burst. Used under license.