Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs (6 hr CE)
- This is considered a correspondence-based course. This course does not include any video-based or other content beyond the required reading.
This course provides California MFTs, PCCs, and CSWs with 6 hours of continuing education credit for reading Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs, 5th edition and completing a final quiz.
This course is designed to provide a broad overview of the legal standards governing the practice of marriage and family therapy in California, as defined in state law and regulation. Specific attention is given to licensure requirements, supervision, confidentiality and privilege, documentation, and technology.
This is considered a correspondence-based course. You are expected to read all course material on your own, and then complete the quiz for CE hours online. The texbook for this course is Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs (5th edition), available in both digital and print formats.
The course completion quiz relies on a detailed understanding of principles and examples used in the text that may not be available elsewhere.
By the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
(1) Explain the difference between confidentiality and privilege, identifying key exceptions to each.
(2) Compare their own experience as supervisors or supervisees with the legal standards governing the supervision relationship.
(3) Describe in detail the processes for reporting child, elder, or dependent adult abuse.
(4) Identify key components of legal compliance for California therapists integrating technology into their practices.
(5) Identify specific requirements for California therapists advertising their services to the public.
About the Instructor
Benjamin E. Caldwell, PsyD is a California Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (#42723). He teaches for California State University Northridge and The Wright Institute in Berkeley, CA. His book, Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs, is used as a textbook in graduate programs around the state and is an essential desk reference for therapists at all career levels.
CE Approval and Course Policies
Once you purchase the course, you must complete it within 60 days.
Ben Caldwell Labs is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for California LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs. Ben Caldwell Labs maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content. CAMFT CEPA provider #137848.
This course meets the qualifications for 6 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, and/or LPCCs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
This course is not part of our continuing education program approved through NBCC.