California Law and Ethics for Marriage and Family Therapists (12-hour) - CE Credit
- This course offers 12 hours of Continuing Education credit. You must complete a 12-hour Law and Ethics course if you have renewed your Associate registration but have not yet passed the Law & Ethics Exam.
- If you do not need CE credit, then check out our non-CE version, which includes all the same content, and allows you to skip segments and navigate as you choose.
This course is designed to provide a broad overview of the legal and ethical standards governing the practice of marriage and family therapy in California. Specific attention is given to abuse reporting, confidentiality and privilege, and documentation.
By the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
(1) Explain the difference between confidentiality and privilege, identifying key exceptions to each.
(2) Describe a meaningful informed consent process for new clients consistent with the therapist's ethical responsibilities.
(3) Identify key components of legal and ethical compliance for California marriage and family therapists.
Key features of the CE version
Key features of this course include:
- More than 20 case examples
- A full-length practice test (75 items)
- More than 50 additional practice questions
- Resources section with study tips, links, and more
- Check out our 7-Step Study Plan
- 12 hours of continuing education credit
About the Instructor
Benjamin E. Caldwell, PsyD is a California Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (#42723). He teaches for California State University Northridge. His book, Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs, is used as a textbook in graduate programs around the state and is an essential desk reference for therapists at all career levels.
Once you purchase the course, you must complete it within 60 days.
Ben Caldwell Labs is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for California LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs. Ben Caldwell Labs maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content. CAMFT CEPA provider #137848. This course meets the qualifications for 12 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, and/or LPCCs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Courses cannot be transferred or exchanged after purchase. Login sharing is not permitted.
Photo by Matthew Henry from Burst. Used under license.