California MFT Law & Ethics - 12 hour CE course
- This course offers 12 hours of Continuing Education credit for California MFTs. It meets BBS requirements for a 12-hour CE course for those preparing to re-attempt the MFT Law & Ethics Exam after renewing their registration.
- If you do NOT need CE credit, and are simply looking to prepare for your exam, then check out our exam prep version, which includes the same content, and does not need to be completed in order.
This course is designed to provide a broad overview of the legal and ethical standards governing the practice of marriage and family therapy in California. Specific attention is given to abuse reporting, confidentiality and privilege, and documentation.
Educational Goals and Learning Objectives
This course serves to enhance legal and ethical decision-making and improve legal and ethical compliance for California marriage and family therapists.
By the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
(1) Explain the difference between confidentiality and privilege, identifying at least three exceptions to each.
(2) Define at least four types of child abuse that mental health professionals must report.
(3) Identify two key considerations when evaluating a potential multiple relationship.
(4) Describe at least two key differences between scope of practice and scope of competence.
(5) List at least three regulatory requirements for MFTs using technology in the delivery of mental health services.
Key features of the CE version
Key features of this course include:
- More than 20 case examples
- A full-length practice test (75 items)
- More than 50 additional practice questions
- Resources section with study tips, links, and more
- Check out our 7-Step Study Plan
- 12 hours of continuing education credit
Note that in order to receive your CE credit, you must complete all course components in full, in the order they are presented.
When you complete the final exam with a score of 80% or above, you will be able to access the course evaluation survey. Once that survey is complete, you can access your CE certificate through your online course dashboard.
This is an intermediate-level course intended for licensed and prelicensed California marriage and family therapists interested in improving their legal and ethical understanding, decision-making, and compliance.
About the Instructor
Benjamin E. Caldwell, PsyD is a California Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (#42723). He teaches for California State University Northridge. His book, Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs, is used as a textbook in graduate programs around the state and is an essential desk reference for therapists at all career levels.
Initial enrollment period: 60 days. However, if you are unable to test in this time, or if you do not pass on your exam attempt, let us know and we can extend your enrollment. We're with you until you pass.
Courses cannot be transferred or exchanged. Login sharing is not permitted and can result in loss of course access without a refund.
Ben Caldwell Labs is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for California LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs. Ben Caldwell Labs maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content. CAMFT CEPA provider #137848. This course meets the qualifications for 12 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, and/or LPCCs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Photo by Matthew Henry from Burst. Used under license.