California Law and Ethics for Marriage and Family Therapists (12-hour) - CE Credit
- This course offers 12 hours of Continuing Education credit in Law and Ethics for California MFTs, PCCs, and CSWs. See below.
- If you want to skip around between topics, fast-forward within videos, or generally only do the parts you feel the most need for, take our non-CE version, which includes all the same content, and provides more freedom of movement.
This course is designed to provide a broad overview of the legal and ethical standards governing the practice of marriage and family therapy in California. Specific attention is given to abuse reporting, confidentiality and privilege, and documentation.
By the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
(1) Explain the difference between confidentiality and privilege, identifying key exceptions to each.
(2) Describe a meaningful informed consent process for new clients consistent with the therapist's ethical responsibilities.
(3) Identify key components of legal and ethical compliance for California marriage and family therapists.
Key features of the CE version
Key features of this course include:
- More than 10 hours of video content
- More than 15 case examples
- A full-length practice test (75 items)
- More than 50 additional practice questions
- Resources section with study tips, links, and more
- Check out our 7-Step Study Plan
- After completion of the full-length practice test and a course evaluation survey, you'll automatically receive a Continuing Education certificate that can be sent to the BBS with your application for eligibility to retake the L&E Exam.
About the Instructor
Benjamin E. Caldwell, PsyD is a California Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (#42723). He teaches for California State University Northridge and The Wright Institute in Berkeley, CA. His book, Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs, is used as a textbook in graduate programs around the state and is an essential desk reference for therapists at all career levels.
This course meets the qualifications for 12 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, and/or LPCCs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Ben Caldwell Labs is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for California LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs. Ben Caldwell Labs maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content. CAMFT CEPA provider #137848.
This course is not part of our continuing education program approved by NBCC.
Once you purchase the course, you must complete it within 60 days.
Photo by Matthew Henry from Burst. Used under license.