California Law and Ethics for Marriage and Family Therapists (Exam Prep version - no CE)
- This course does not offer Continuing Education credit.
- If you need a 12-hour CE course in Law and Ethics, then check out our CE version, which includes all the same content, and provides a CE certificate once you complete all course requirements.
This course is designed to provide a broad overview of the legal and ethical standards governing the practice of marriage and family therapy in California. Specific attention is given to abuse reporting, confidentiality and privilege, and documentation.
By the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
(1) Explain the difference between confidentiality and privilege, identifying key exceptions to each.
(2) Describe a meaningful informed consent process for new clients consistent with the therapist's ethical responsibilities.
(3) Identify key components of legal and ethical compliance for California marriage and family therapists.
Key features of the non-CE version
Think you're missing out by not getting a CE certificate? Nah. In fact, we expect a lot of people will prefer the non-CE version for all the freedom it gives you. Key features of this course includes:
- More than 10 hours of video content
- More than 20 case examples
- A full-length practice test (75 items)
- More than 50 additional practice questions
- Resources section with study tips, links, and more
- Check out our 7-Step Study Plan
- You can fast-forward, rewind, and skip around among content areas
- You can accelerate playback speed for course videos
- There's no required passing score for any quiz, and you can attempt as often as you like
About the Instructor
Benjamin E. Caldwell, PsyD is a California Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (#42723). He teaches for California State University Northridge and The Wright Institute in Berkeley, CA. His book, Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs, is used as a textbook in graduate programs around the state and is an essential desk reference for therapists at all career levels.
Once you purchase the course, you must complete it within 60 days.
Photo by Matthew Henry from Burst. Used under license.