The definitive guide, updated for 2022
Changes in this 9th edition of Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs for 2022 include:
* Major changes to supervision requirements
* Updates to the LMFT and LPCC scopes of practice
* Updated information on telehealth
* Updated information on working from home
* New rules for Emotional Support Animal letters
* Added information on holding multiple licenses
* Added information on California's End of Life Option
...and much more. We now offer paperback, digital purchase, and digital rental options.
Online exam prep at SimplePractice Learning
Our online exam prep courses are now available exclusively at SimplePractice Learning. With all the great features we've been offering -- and more on the way.
What our customers say
I passed my Clinical Exam! I know the content is probably what most people choose this program for, but for me, it was about knowing that the creator of this course supports this field, is committed to the success of therapists, and genuinely cares for the success of those who use this program.
I passed last night. Your [MFT Clinical Exam] prep course’s 21 day plan made it much easier to imagine a path through. Your mock exams closely matched the exam I was actually given. I would totally recommend your program over any others.
I just passed the Law and Ethics Exam mostly because of your superb online prep. You are an excellent teacher and you made the subject engaging and really interesting. A zillion thank yous! I'm ridiculously overjoyed.
I did [two other programs], and this is the first time that I am really understanding the information. I am so grateful that my colleague recommended you.
Your exam guide was awesome. The material was more than sufficient. Your training really helped me to alleviate most of the anxiety coming into this. Thank you for your time, talent, patience and leadership.
I studied your book the week before the test, and I passed! I credit that ease to the clarity of the material and the examples that stayed with me.
Efficient, effective MFT Law & Ethics Exam Prep
Our industry-leading guide is now better than ever.
- Updated to 2021 California law
- Featuring more than 100 practice questions with rationales, including a full-length (75-item) practice test
- 20 of those practice questions are new to this edition
- Includes test-taking tips and strategies
- Subscale scoring on the practice exam helps you identify specific areas of strength and areas for additional study
By using this book, you can go into your exam confident and well-prepared. Standard shipping is free.
California MFT Law & Ethics Exam: BBS Sample Questions, explained
The exam handbook includes sample questions and the right answers, but it doesn't tell you why those answers are correct. Here, we give the rationales.
Efficient, effective Clinical Social Work Law & Ethics Exam prep
Our leading study guide has several new features.
- Updated to 2022 law, including changes to supervision rules
- Integrates 2021 updates to the NASW Code of Ethics, including new guidelines related to cultural competency and self-care
- Featuring more than 100 practice questions with rationales, including a full-length (75-item) practice test and a 25-item mini-mock exam
- Updated test-taking tips and strategies
- Built from the same task and knowledge statements the BBS uses when writing the real exam
With this guide, you can approach your California LCSW Law & Ethics Exam confident and ready.
The courage to fight
Therapists are usually great listeners and skilled at finding compromise. But to truly be effective in creating change, we also have to be skilled at conflict.
This is my 2018 speech that opened the first Therapy Reimagined conference in Los Angeles.
CE provider approval
Ben Caldwell Labs is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for California LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs. Ben Caldwell Labs maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content. CAMFT CEPA provider #137848. Courses advertised as providing CE content under this approval meet the qualifications for the stated hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, and/or LPCCs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Ben Caldwell Labs is not currently an approved CE provider through NBCC, APA, or any other CE provider approval bodies. Certificates and other records from our prior NBCC approval will be retained for at least 5 years following course completion per NBCC policies. If you need a copy of an old CE certificate, or if you are a licensing board wanting to confirm prior approval status, please contact us through our Support page.